Sunday, December 06, 2009

Identy Theft

Okay, it was bound to happen. My vanity got the better of me and I Googled myself. What I found was spine chilling. There is another writer out there with my name, my same middle initial, who even writes in the same genre. Crap.

I have a couple of problems with this; I take a great deal of pride in my writing, try not to put anything out there in the world wide web that is something I would be embarrassed about. On top of that, writing is what I see myself doing as a career, not just a love of writing but an actual profession. I am not so sure this other gal with my name is of the same mindset. No I am not trying to be mean. I am being honest.

I don't want my name associated with someone who is writing with no thought to what other people think, tell me what happens when a publisher Googles my name and finds this other gal and her writing? Even if she was out of this world incredible, the next JRR Tolkien, I would not want someone elses work to be mistaken for mine.

So do I change my writing pseudonym back to my maiden name...gulp...Faganello? I mean, for sure it won't be copied on purpose and it certainly is original. But it's also a mouthful, most people can't spell it despite the fact that it is phonetic.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Am I being oversensitive? Or do I have a reason to be concerned?

7 comments:

Darren Barefoot said...

As an, ahem, certified (well, not really) marketing expert, I'd suggest picking a unique name. It's your brand, after all, and given the similarities between you and this other non-you (same profession, same gender, same genre, etc), it might be cause for confusion.

With a last name like 'Barefoot', I'm sympathetic to the odd names. But 'Faganello' sounds kind of exotic, so that's a bonus.

Shannon said...

Thanks Darren! I was kind of leaning that way but thought perhaps I was being overreactive. I know my brother will be happy as he wanted me to use my maiden name...to make it easier for him to break into the business!
By the way, you are probably the first person not to take a pot shot at "Faganello"!

Suze said...

I think you should simply be known as "Shaganello". Like Cher, Madonna, Pink, etc...

But then again, that's MY personal opinion. Hey and I won't even charge you for copyright infringement on the name either....I fully give it to you to use as you please. Just remember an honorable mention someday, eh?

Sheri said...

I vote for Faganello. Though I did get a good laugh out of "Shaganello." That would be my second choice. :)

Unknown said...

I would also vote for Faganello, like the post above me (suze) says its not something that just anyone would have, its different and its a name that's going to stick out in someones mind, even if they CAN say it right. I'm pretty sure JRR Tolkien doesn't have a twin out there, his name and books make who he is. ( i could be wrong about the twin thing, i don't know if there's another JRR Tolkien out there....)the other choice you have is the hyphen the names, faganello-mayer...its a bit more of a mouthful but its still an opinion.

Shannon said...

Thanks for the input guys!

Dr. Kathie M. Black said...
This comment has been removed by the author.