Thursday, January 27, 2011

Learning to Speak Tweet



I don’t know about you, but when I first started learning to use Twitter, I was dumbfounded by all the acronyms. A small few were obvious. LOL. Laughing out loud. Thnx. Thanks. But that was about where my understanding stopped. Months later, I have a far better grasp of twitter language. Or perhaps its called Twinglish now? Anyway, for all those just learning to Tweet, here’s a fairly comprehensive list of acronyms, both to use and decipher others Tweets.

ROFL – Rolling on the floor laughing

LMAO – Laughing my a** off

ROFLMAO – Combo of the above two

BTW- By the way

IMO – In my opinion

IMHO – In my humble/honest opinion

BRB – Be right back

FTW – For the win

FTL – For the loss

FTF – Face to face

YMMV – Your mileage may vary (Or your experience may be different than mine.)

JV – Joint venture

JK – Just kidding

LMK – Let me know

OH –Overheard

VO- Very obviously

YW or YVW – Your welcome/ Your very welcome

TIA – Thanks in advance

WTH – What the hell?

WTF – What the f ***?

IRL – In real life

ASFAIK – As far as I know

B4 – before

BFN – Bye for now

HT – Hat tip

JSYK - Just so you know


Phew! And that’s only the ones I know or could find out about. I’m sure there are more as the language seems to be added to daily. What are your favorite acronyms that you use all the time? Or are there some not on the list that you can add on with? Either way, I hope this helps you navigate Twitter but more than that, helps you to better understand your Tweeps. ; -)

1 comment:

Christopher Zara said...

I always write everything out. That's probably why I'm the slowest texter in the world.