Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ideas in the Simmering Pot




Egads, do you ever have a moment where you have a bundle of emotions and ideas swishing through your brain and trying desperately to reach the surface but to no avail?


Today is one of those days. I have things I want to say, points to make, important pieces of advice to share but my head, heart and typing fingers refuse to work in tandem. I suppose that means I have to let the ideas simmer a little longer, perhaps let them age a little and see what fine vintage they become with some time.


That is how the writing process can be for me, whether its a blog post, short story, outline or revisions. The ideas need more than a single moment to be developed. They need to be put into a big, simmering pot where the ideas can sit and I can turn them over in my mind, mixing and figuring out what they want to become. Sometimes this process takes a few days, sometimes a few weeks. I had one story simmer for nearly two years before I did anything with it.


With all these ideas I have you'd think I could pick one and start, but today just isn't that day.


What I'd love to know is do you have a process for your ideas or do you dive right in?

No comments: